To support and nurture each volunteer and puppy throughout their journey.
Leaders of the GPS Pack
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Group Leader: Heidi Hespelt
Activities: Marilyn Hill
A nonprofit, charitable organization
2901 SE Kelso Road, Boring, OR 97009
Phone (503) 668-2100
350 Los Ranchitos Road, San Rafael, CA 94903
Phone (415) 499-400050
Toys & Supplies
Accounting & Applications:
WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW PUPPY RAISERS! Click here!
We would love for you to join in the fun. Volunteer puppy raisers of all ages receive their charges when the pups are approximately 8 weeks old, and return them to the Oregon Guide Dog campus between 13 and 18 months old. Raisers are responsible for teaching the puppies good house manners and basic obedience, and most importantly, socializing them to the world.
No prior experience is necessary to become a puppy raiser; we will help you through the process every step of the way. It is a rewarding, emotional experience. As a puppy raiser, not only will you discover the delight of a four-footed, wet-nosed companion, you will join a community of like-minded people all working toward improving the quality of life for people who are blind. Many raisers initially get involved for the puppies and end up making life-long friends.
In order to be a puppy raiser, you will need to understand and agree to some guidelines, which include:
If you are interested in learning more about being involved our puppy group for Guide Dogs for the Blind, please fill out the form at the top of this page. We look forward to hearing from you!
GUIDE PUPPIES OF SEATTLE CLUB PROFILE Click here!
The best source of up-to-date information on our schedule is the Events Page on this website. GPS generally meets 3 times per month. We usually plan one outing per month and two regular meetings.
Regular meetings are on Sundays from 6:00-7:30 PM and are held in the Community Hall in the lower brick building of the Phinney Neighborhood Center ( 6532 Phinney Ave. N Seattle WA 98103).
Each raiser must attend 80% of planned meetings and outings. Outings are not optional and are important training opportunities (besides being a lot of fun!). Family members and Puppy Sitters need to stay up-to-date on training techniques.
Raising a puppy is more of a time commitment than a financial one, but you are expected to provide a few basics. Raisers will be expected to buy dog food, a few grooming supplies, and dog toys—we will let you know what kind are approved--and a large or extra large crate. GPS will loan you a small crate for when you first get your baby puppy. Guide Dogs for the Blind will cover Veterinary care as long as the problem does not stem from neglect and the bill is pre-authorized by GDB. Click here for a breakdown of needed supplies.
Other Volunteer Obligations:
Successfully raising a Guide Dog puppy constitutes 95% of a volunteer’s commitment. The other 5% consists of tasks necessary to keep our group a thriving, fun organization. Each group member is encouraged and be involved in events and presentations and to support each other whenever and however you are able.
ABOUT GUIDE DOGS FOR THE BLIND Click here!
Guide Dogs for the Blind empowers lives by creating exceptional partnerships between people, dogs, and communities.
Guide Dogs for the Blind envisions a world with greater inclusion, opportunity and independence by optimizing the unique capabilities of people and dogs.
Founded in 1942, Guide Dogs for the Blind is the largest Guide Dog training school in North America with nearly 11,000 graduates and, currently, over 2,100 active teams. Guide Puppies of Seattle is a local puppy raising group for Guide Dogs for the Blind. Guide Dogs for the Blind is more than an industry-leading guide dog school; we are a passionate community that serves the visually impaired. With exceptional client services and a robust network of trainers, puppy raisers, donors and volunteers, we prepare highly qualified guide dogs to serve and empower individuals who are blind or have low vision. All of our services are provided free of charge; we receive no government funding.
GDB has two campuses: one is headquartered in San Rafael, California — 20 miles north of San Francisco, another in Boring, Oregon — 25 miles east of Portland.
GDB CAMPUS LOCATIONS: